- Oil was used to prepare food and became a symbol of nourishment
- Oil was used to light lamps. There was no gasoline or kerosene. You lit your home with oil. Oil became a symbol of guidance
- Oil was cosmetic. Oil softened dry skin in a dry climate where people didn’t shower everyday. Oil came to represent comfort and prosperity.
- Oil was a means of refreshment. When receiving a guest in their house and they would massage their feet with olive oil. They might also put it on their head and hair.
- Oil was used for medical treatment. Oil was a soothing salve for an open wound (Luke 10, Good Samaritan).
- Oil was used for burials. Oil and spices was a symbol of respect that you would place on a person’s body for burial.